Here is a work in progress, the third book in my prehistoric series “The devonian”. The past two books, I’ve been able to start in May and finish in August. But this book has taken me entirely too long as I started in May this year, and I’m still working on it. I’ve just finished preparing the work for colors. The current colors are just there to make selecting areas easier, so I still have a bit of work ahead of me. I hope to finish this in December (cross my fingers). Above you can see the original ink drawing, the cleaned up linework and the preliminary colors
There are several reasons why this book has taken me so long to make. First of all, there’s more research because now there’s an actual terrestrial environment to speak of (and more animals have been preserved). Also I really wanted to make the drawings more detailed. Lastly, I had to juggle this project with paid work. I often work 12 hour days. My record is 20 this year. So as you can imagine, I don’t really have the energy to work on my stuff after that. So that’s my excuse for my pretty meager silkscreened-book output this year. It actually frustrates me, but hey, I need money like I need the food that has to be bought so I don’t starve.